Monday 2 April 2018

Knit.Wear Spring/Summer 2018: A Review


Knit.Wear has released its Spring/Summer 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Adriatic Dolman. I'm not a big fan of the dolman or "batwing" sleeve, but this is very decent example of the style.





Aegean Stole. I'm really liking the geometric lace motifs on this one.





Andaman Top. Love the lacework on this, but not so much the sandwich board style.





Beaufort Pullover. Love the hem, side, and cuff detailing on this one. I'd recommend working this pattern in one piece on a circular needle to the armholes to get rid of that side seam.





Benedict Pullover. Love the texture on this one, but I'd neaten up the fit.





Caspian Top. Very decent piece. I'm liking the stitchwork and particularly the cables.





Charles Pullover. A classic turtleneck. Oh how I wish that I had enough neck to wear turtlenecks like this one.





Clematis Cardigan. Good stitchwork, decent shaping, and it sits well.





Frederick Cardigan. An attractively classic cardigan.





Honeysuckle Tee. Here's what I like about this design: the lace detailing and the concept of a back pleat. Here's what I don't like about it: the frumpy shape and the poor execution of the back pleat. That ridge above the pleat where the underlying lace panel begins looks terrible.





Hyacinth Pullover. This pattern looks as though it's been torn from the pages of a seventies-era homemaking magazine, and possibly has a brown rice casserole recipe on the other side.





Ionian Top. This is one of those cases where I like the concept of a design but don't think it got the execution it deserved. I like the idea of the butterfly openwork on the back, but it looks too much like holes and dropped stitches for my liking.





James Cardigan. I'm loving the geometric cablework on this one. I will say though, that for a spring/summer issue, the designs in this issue look pretty fall/winter.





Moonflower Dolman. I'm rather liking this one on the whole, as the sideways stockinette and lace pattern and modest batwing work together well, but I would have extended the lace and stockinette pattern right to the cuff rather than using the garter ridge pattern for the lower sleeve. It looks a little tacked on and out of step with the rest of the sweater as is.





Portico Tank. The cut and details are good, but I think this piece didn't get the styling it deserved, as it should be worn by itself, not as a layering piece over something else. I'd also make it in a more interesting yarn to give a little extra oomph.





Puget Tote. Oooh, I really love this bag, which is the epitome of polished contemporary style.





Spanish Moss Lace. A very elegant wrap with beautiful lace and fabulous drape.





Timor Tee. Not a bad design. It has some nice detailing at the yoke and sides, and this item was styled properly, as it is a very decent layering piece.





Weddell Top. I really like the stitchwork and shaping of this little top. I'm not such a fan of the cropped length, but it would be easy to lengthen this piece if desired. I'd also make it in a crisp, fun colour rather than in this rather drab one. Come on Knit.Wear, this is your spring and summer issue. What are you, dead inside?





Wisteria Stole. A beautiful lace wrap.

9 comments:

  1. I'm not liking the expression "I'm liking..." again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not liking that you felt the need to criticize this review. I’m not liking that you could have happily kept that information to yourself and yet decided to be mean and leave a negative comment. I’m definitely not liking that you didn’t even bother to say something nice to go with your criticism. Don’t like it? Don’t read it!

      Delete
  2. I'm liking that you are free to say "I'm liking" as many times as you like!
    And I love the brown rice casserole observation...probably from Workbasket magazine! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Andaman top is actually a mullet. The dramatic sleeve cuffs and the model’s arm positions obscure the view of the front in every one of the five photos. It’s just a straight lower edge, how bad could it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replying to myself to add that I’ve just seen the designer’s photo, and it is lovely, if you like the short/long silhouette. The big cuffs don’t do it justice in a photo.

      Delete
  4. The fit of knitwear wouldn't have to be "neatened up" if models were put in correct sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your observations about the dull colors and the lack of "spring" in these. There are some nice things, but they sure don't read springtime to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your reviews and agree with them nearly all of the time. I haven't seen this issue in a store yet to know if other views are available, but my point is that I sometimes wonder why they have models slouching or in an odd pose that doesn't show the garment well at all. The Timor Tee and Frederick Cardigan are examples of styles I'd like to see with the model standing as we would when wearing the items.

    The Spanish Moss wrap is an example of the pose displaying the garment well even if most of us don't stand around like that. A close up would help too, I'm guessing there might be one in the publication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing I've learned from reading these posts over the years is that in most cases weird postures and funny stances are used to hide flaws in the knitwear pieces. If the models were to stand upright it would probably look terrible.

    ReplyDelete