Wednesday 4 April 2018

Cast On Spring 2018: A Review


In today's post we're going to have a look at Cast On's Spring 2018 issue.





Baby Bear Sweater. This has some good stitchwork, and I like the contrast buttons. I'd add a garter stitch trim to the hem and cuffs to make it look a little more finished.





Bead Stitch Blouse. Very attractive piece. The shaping is good and the lacy stitchwork is really beautiful.





Delia Baby Dress. This little dress has the look of a late Edwardian ladies dress -- can't you imagine one of the ladies of Downton Abbey wearing something similar? -- and yet it's quite wearable for a toddler of our day. This is so lovely I wish I knew a baby girl to make it for.





Dragon Cape. I think this piece is one I'd enjoy seeing on someone at, say, a fantasy conference as a part of some sort of Game of Thrones cosplay, but it would look odd in real life. The dragon illusion is inventive, and the dragon clasps are fabulous, but the cape has an awkwardly proportioned look, the join between the black yoke and the body of the garment looks rough, and the hem looks unfinished.





Draped Top. Oooh, I rather like this one, which has such great lines and hangs so beautifully. The scalloped hem and ruching at the neckline give it all the detail it needs. It is a little long. I'd be inclined to either shorten it to hip length or go all out and make a dress out of it that can be worn over a chemise-style underlayer.





Drummie Bees and Snowflakes. This isn't a bad pattern, but the gradient colourway isn't quite working.





Fleck Stitched Vest. Useful layering piece.





Illusion Argyle Scarf. This is a fun and contemporary take on the argyle scarf. I'd add a fringe to the ends.





Lace Butterfly Halter. The straps of this look a little too on the thin and insubstantial side for my liking. I'd make them at least a little thicker. They look like I-cord. I'd consider braiding three I-cords together to make the straps, or perhaps crocheting the I-cord into a thicker chain.





Little Dancer Ruched Jumper. I quite like this one, but I can't help feeling it would look better with sleeves in a stockinette and ruched stitch to match the skirt. That's not to say it isn't perfectly wearable and attractive as is, and happily I do know two little girls who are of an age to wear it.





Little Rosebud Aran. I'd fix the awkward-looking dropped shoulders and go with a ribbing at the neckline which, if made deep enough, would also eliminate the problematic cable ends at the centre front.





Mayfair Cardigan. A really lovely piece.





Peek-a-Boo Skirt and Top. This would be a cute little ensemble for a little girl (it is also sized to adult's extra small and small). I'd do it in a fun colour as this one's a little blah.





Physician's Sweater. This design, which incorporates the DNA strand and the caduceus, is elegantly rendered, but I can't help feeling that it's a little too gimmicky to appeal to an actual physician as clothing. As an editor, it amuses me to imagine a version of this sweater with a delete mark on it, but I wouldn't wear it.





Rose Gold Hoodie. This has a rather shapeless, flimsy look.





Springtime Illusion Washcloths. These look a little rough and ready to me, but then I'm a hard sell on knitted dishcloths as I can't bear using them. But I know lots of people do love knitted dishcloths, and as the pattern descriptions says, this would be a good way to practice illusion knitting.





Summer Shoulder Shawl. An attractive little wrap.





Turicum Shawl. This is a fun, contemporary piece.





Two-Color Cable Top. Nice design. I don't happen to think the colours used here does much for it, but it would be fun to come up with one's own colourway for this one.





Whirlwind Barn Quilt Hat. According to the designer of this hat, "[o]ver the past few years, large painted quilt squares have appeared on barns, houses, and commercial buildings in northern Vermont. Barn Quilt Trails are rapidly developing and can now be found in many parts of the country." That does sound like a fun direction for an outdoor art installation, and reminds me of a news item I read some years back in which a woman painted her car to look like a giant crazy quilt using bottles of nail polish. Quilting is such an art that there's certainly no reason why the quilting aesthetic should be confined to just one medium. This hat was inspired by Vermont's quilt square art, and it's an attractive and wearable piece.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, illusion knitting and brioche are not the same thing. Illusion knitting uses knits and purls to reveal a pattern whent the piece is viewed from an angle; it has horizontal stripes of color. Brioche can be worked with one or two colors. One color brioche works strands from two rows at the same time; if you do it with two colors there are two knitting passes for each row and has a horizontal stripe effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such a hard time imagining anyone wearing a knitted, sleeveless top or halter. But that's because our summers here in Central California are always 90º plus, even at night!

    ReplyDelete