Thursday 29 March 2018

Interweave Knits Spring 2018: A Review


Interweave Knits has released its Spring 2018 issue, and it's a very solid effort from them. Let's have a look at it.





Bergen Peak Pullover. Very much like this one. I might make that cabled yoke a little shorter in order to raise the Fair Isle bands, as this sweater has a slightly top-heavy, disproportionate look as is.





Bronson Rock Pullover. I'm loving the gansey stitchwork on the body of this. I'm not sure I'm sold on the contrast sleeve effect, though. I think I might use two colours that worked together better, such as a solid yarn for the body and a coordinating variegated yarn for the sleeves, and/or work the collar in the sleeve colour.





Clear Creek Cardigan. Classic cabled cardigan.





Compass Rose Pullover. This one garnered an, "Oooh, love that!" from me when I first saw it. The chart work on the front and back is very strikingly attractive, the shaping is good, and the ribbed detail at the sides and neck gives the sweater a finished look. This design would have been my pick for the cover design, rather than the classic but comparatively dull cardigan above.





Dual Sport Pullover. Not a bad contemporary take on the classic chevron design.





Elk Meadow Pullover. Very nice! This would be a fun sweater to pick out the colourway for, because one could go for a subtle, muted look as has been done here, or something crisp or bold.





Evergreen Mountain Pullover. Some beautiful stitchwork in the front of this pullover. It does have a mullet hem, but that's easily fixed if you feel the way I do about mullet hems.





Genesee Mountain Poncho. Fantastic stitchwork in this capelet, and it sits so well. Very nice work!





Kittredge Wrapper. I'm not a fan of this one, which has a sloppy, unfinished look.





Open Road Vest. This would be quite a useful piece for spring and summer because it can be either layered or worn alone. This design makes good use of a nubby yarn.





Saddleback Mountain Cardigan. Love the colorwork design of this one, which has the look of an Arts & Crafts wallpaper. I'm liking the flat, wide collar too -- it's something a bit fresher and more contemporary than the expected shawl collar or narrow bands.





Scoot Jacket. This jacket sits quite well in the back but quite poorly in the front.





Squaw Mountain Pullover. Far be it from me to claim to know the mind of a man, but I think most men would be perfectly happy with this pullover, which is perfectly attractive and wearable.





Straightaway Cardigan. Very much like the combination garter stitch and brioche stitch used here, but I can't help wanting to fix the dropped shoulders and neaten up the fit on this cardigan.





Throttle Moto Jacket. Motorcycle jacket-like styles often don't translate too well into knitwear because yarn is far softer, drapier medium than leather, but this designer has managed to rise to the challenge and create a linen stitch piece that both sits well and has a rather smart and very unique tweedy look.





Torque Hat. The hat design is good, but I can't say I think that leather snap detail works. The leather snap looks as though it wandered off the model's jacket during a photo shoot break, got stuck on her hat, and couldn't get back where it belong again. I'd use some other kind of buckle or snap closure.

3 comments:

  1. Elf Meadow Pullover - definitely my favourite. I agree with you about the rest. Thanks for doing your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm in love with that poncho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is a pet peeve of yours, but at 5'10", with a long torso, and usually requiring tall rise pants to fit correctly...mullet hems help keep that area covered (and breeze-free) when wearing the less-than-perfectly-fitting lower article of clothing. I agree, they can be sloppy-looking, however it would make me more uncomfortable to deal with the constant adjusting.

    ReplyDelete