Thursday 14 September 2017

Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 62: A Review, Part 2


Today we're going to look at the second half of the designs in Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 62, having looked at the first half three days ago.





Bradshaw. Classic cabled turtleneck.





Wilshaw. I like the detail on the body of this coat, and the back looks quite sharp, but the front looks unfinished and the sleeves look silly.





Midnight. Good shape and texture, but I think I'd make this one in a variegated yarn, as it needs just a little more visual interest.





Weeton Scarf. It's seldom I see a crocheted scarf I really like, but I do quite like this one with its pleasing woven effect.





Fumbar. This one's a refreshing take on the classic fair isle yoke pullover, the shaping is good, and I like the subtle neutral colourway.





Midnight Cowl and Dimmet. I rather like this one, which could be worn on its own or as a layering piece, and I love the versatility of the cowl and sweater set idea that I just might have to make one for myself. Though I would wear a proper belt with it, not a piece of leather cord or twine or whatever that is around the model's waist.





Almondbury. The texture's great and the colours are beautiful, but this one isn't so much a cardigan as it is an afghan with sleeves.





Farnley. This one's rather cute. I even like the pom poms, though I'd make them a little smaller.





Dusky Scarf. This is quite attractive and a good way to add some distinction to a plain outfit.





Oxton. A nice classic piece.





Gransmoor. Very pretty leaf and diamond fair isle design, though I would do it in another colourway. This combination of dark blue and pale blue is popular with designers, but for some reason it never quite pulls together for me -- it's visually just a little jarring and off-key.





Veiled. This is very simple but it's wearable enough.





Buttrick. This one is good overall, but has an unflattering boxy shape that isn't doing this professional model any favours. I'd normally advise adding waist shaping but that could be difficult to do in this case given the closely set cable pattern, so instead I'd probably just give this design a pass.





Subdued. The designer of this one seems to have tried to jazz up a too-plain item by randomly adding ties to the sleeves, and like most randomly added design elements, it's not serving its intended purpose.





Marr. Very striking mosaic patterned coat.





Sundown. A cute little cropped cardigan. This can be a difficult length to wear but they do look cute over a dress.





Bielby. This one has such a dragged out, downtrodden look that even the model it's on is looking as though she's getting a sudden urge to sit in a darkened room, wrap herself in a blanket and eat marshmallow fluff straight from the jar.





Eventide. Not bad, though these long narrow cardigans tend to be hard to wear. That's easily remedied though -- just make it in a flattering length for the intended wearer.





Thackrey Scarf. The matching hat for this scarf appeared in part one of this review, and I like the scarf just as much. It was a sound idea to knit it in a tube so that there's no "wrong" side.

4 comments:

  1. I disagree on the Marr coat. Yes, the patterning is nice, but it just looks like it is intended for a giant! Way too over-sized, the V neck stops at the waist, the hem is at the knee, and the pockets are so low down, they are basically useless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cables on the Buttrick pattern but agree that it's too loose for most everyone. I'd probably do a little math to determine the right stitch count for my waist and add stitches in reverse stockinette for the hips and bust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Gransmoor blue on blue... but that's just me. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to get hold of the Oxton pattern featured in Rowan 62 but it seems to be discontinued and out of stock everywhere I try. I am in South Africa which also presents a problem with delivery... Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete