Monday 13 February 2017

Creative Knitting Spring 2017: A Review


Creative Knitting has released its Spring 2017 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Calypso Cowlette. Not a bad piece at all. It has a certain casual chicness.





Lace Sampler. This one has an unfortunate heavy, poncho-like feel.





On the Fringes. Those fringes would drive me insane, but of course they could always be shortened.





Tipsoo Cowl. Another pretty, casual little accessory.





All Tied Up. The high-riding tie is unusual but I can't say it's unattractive or unflattering. This piece could have done with a more interesting yarn.





It's All About the Back. This is rather fetching, though it does look a bit baggy through the body.





Serendipity Shawl. This is rather pretty. I love the sandstone-like colours.





Sheer Comfort. This one has a "I'm wearing my shopping bags to the grocery store in order to keep my hands free" look.





Smoky Mountain Scarf. Not a bad-looking scarf, but I'm not crazy about the slits. They look like a mistake.





Balasana Bolster. This is okay, but perhaps a tad phallic for my liking. But then that may be a selling point for you. I don't know your Freudian symbol comfort level.





Om Ah Hum Pillow. Simple and pleasant-looking enough. I think it might need a more interesting yarn.





Serenity Cushion. This is... okay. I'd use a more interesting colour combination for this one.





Shavasana. An attractive simple throw for a beginner.





Eyelet Lace Raglan Cardigan. Standard lacy summer cardigan. The instructions for this one offers six lace patterns and a pullover option so that you can tweak the pattern to your liking.





Lace Tee. This design, like the previous one, can be done in one of six optional lace patterns and made as a tee or a tank, and again like the previous pattern, is standard knitting pattern fare. There were patterns just like this one in knitting and women's magazines twenty-five years ago. It's okay, but I'd go for something a little more interesting and stylish, myself.





Girder. The lace is nice, but I am not liking that big seam down the middle. It really detracts.





Hint of Spring. I rather like this one, though I'm not crazy about mesh. It always has such an air of sports jerseys or shopping bags to me that it never seems to belong in street clothes, and you can get weird sunburns through it. I think what I'd do is replace the mesh with some other kind of lacework.





Keystone. A very attractive lace shawl.





Tacoma Shrug. The lacework is beautiful, and the drape is great, but man, that shape is baggy.





Blankie for Baby. Some nice stitchwork in this one.





Sublime Spa Set. Not a bad little baby shower gift for someone who just needs to whip up something quickly. It's cute and useful. Though I think I'd do something more interesting with the bag, such as knitting it in one colour and doing a duplicate stitch teddy bear or cat some such on it. Those stripes have a "I'm just trying to use up some odds and ends" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment