Monday 16 January 2017

Cast On Winter 2016: A Review


Cast On has released its Winter 2016 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Arctic Cowl and Muff. These are okay as separately items, but as a set they seem a little much, as though the maker knitted two tubes and put them wherever they fit.





Aviemore Hat. An attractive classic cap.





Beaded Buttoned Bracelet. This is pretty in its way, but jewelry made out of yarn never looks like jewelry to me.





Chunky Checkerboard Scarf. I'd skip the pockets on this, which make it look a little too much like those pocket things some people hang on their couches and armchairs.





Commence. I'm quite liking this one, which between its excellent stitchwork and shaping has more than a little style to it. I love the collar especially.





Fingerslip. These mittens have an unobtrusive covered slit on the palm side that will enable its wearers to slip their fingers out of the mitten in order to manage any fine motor tasks that come their way. It's a practical idea, and the mittens are attractive and absent the clunkiness that so many mittens with fold-back tops have.





Herringbone Mitts. Very much like these, which are smart and fun and very carefully finished.





High Flight Redux. Not bad. The yoke seems rather visually heavy and dominant, but that may just be the picture's angle.





Icy Pink Vest. Classic cabled vest. I'd make this either in a light coloured cotton to be worn by itself in the summer, or in a darker, richer-toned wool for winter.





Jessica's Boyfriend Sweater. This is rather well-shaped, but I have my concerns about how flattering this length would be when it's a slim-fit piece. I'd make it a standard length.





Kendall's Sweater. Nice texture. I'd go with a beautiful or interesting yarn for this one.





Lilacs and Clemantis. This is a beautiful piece of design, but I do have my reservations about how it sits -- it's flaring out stiffly at the bottom. I think I'd add fasteners (buttons or clasps) all the way down the front to help this vest keep its shape.






Norwegian Legwarmers. Very pretty. I find myself wishing I'd had a pair like these circa 1985. I'd have been the envy of the schoolyard.





Patrician Cardigan. Oooh, how beautiful and elegant, and that yarn looks simply luscious. Good shaping, lovely lacy ruffle detailing, and the cardigan drapes so well.





Ship Side Chevron Shawl. This one is so striking as to be rather dramatic. Fantastic stitchwork.





Untwined Socks. A fun mix of patterns which works well on such a small scale.





Wilshire Boulevard Wrap. Another lovely and polished wrap. The stitchwork is really impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment