Wednesday 6 April 2016

Knitscene Summer 2016: A Review


Knitscene has released its Summer 2016 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Lignon Cardigan. This one, with its asymmetrical collar detail, reminds me of a 4-H knitting project my sister once did when she was about 14. As she earnestly explained it to me and my mother, "I made a mistake in the back and didn't see it in time, so I made a matching one in the front, only I didn't get it as high." Other than the collar, I do like this piece with its dotted effect, and in the pictures where it is buttoned it is clear that it is a well-shaped piece.





Capillary Scarf. This one looks like a very long, skinny shopping bag.





Rosulate Tank. I'm not a fan of asymmetry, but this one is fine. Two ruffles would have been a little too precious, and the lacework and shaping are very good.





Cordia Tank. I haven't a fault to find with this one. Nicely finished piece, and I love that cinnamon red yarn.





Commelina Scarf. Both attractive and visually interesting.





Alpinia Tank. Liking the linear-style lacework on this one, which would make a nice cover up for the beach.





Helconia Wrap. This piece is not actually a wrap, as both its name and this picture suggest, but a loose cardigan. It's a lovely piece in terms of stitchwork and drape, if a little too Golden Girls in style for me.





Ipomoea Scarf. I can see this one going fairly well with very casual summer clothes.





Arundina Tee. Very fetching little top for summer. The yarn choice is particularly good for this design.





Mere Skirt. Lovely little airy piece for summer. This one would be such a welcome find in a woman's closet on a hot day.





Rogue Wave Socks. I like these socks on the whole, but they do look unfinished at the top, as though they just stop.





Buoyant Sweater. Not bad, and I do like the tie-dyed yarn used here, but I would fix those dropped shoulders.





Barachois Tunic. I actually rather like this one's minimalist, "she's come undun" style. Shorter women might have trouble carrying off the length, but it can always be scaled down to suit them.





Soliton Vest. The back of this item looks pretty good, but the front looks like an unfinished piece the model is trying on for size.





Seiche Tank. Love the lace detail on the yoke of this tank, though, as A-line shapes are not my friend, I'd be reshaping it.





Anil Cardigan. The lacework at the shoulders is pretty, but cardigan's general effect is that of a rumpled and stretched-out piece.





Tinctoria Tee. This mullet hem is working better and more stylishly than mullet hems usually do, but I think I'd still be making the front and back hems of equal length. The design is quite good otherwise, and this would make a useful overlayer for summer.





Billabong Tee. Another one of those minimal designs that work quite well. The shaping is good and the overall effect is "can't be bothered to dress up much and want to be cool and comfortable but still have style" -- which is the perfect chord to strike in summer.





Atoll Cowl. A light, simple cowl for summer.

2 comments:

  1. The dropped stitches in the Barachois piece look like rips or cat scratches. I'm not a fan of dropped stitches in general. These look terrible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get *so excited* when your new reviews pop up in my feed! Hilarious and informative!

    ReplyDelete