Monday 4 August 2014

Pom Pom Quarterly Autumn 2014: A Review


Pom Pom Quarterly has released their Autumn 2014 issue. Let's have a look, shall we?





The Coronis design. Hmm, this is very retro as to shape and modern as to the stripes and colourway. It's not a bad piece but that very cropped length is difficult to pull off, so if you don't have a small bustline and/or a waist you want to emphasize, I'd lengthen it.





The Arionette socks. They're nice. Interesting houndstooth pattern.





The Delita Shawl. At first glance I didn't like this, but I think it's that grimy-looking yellow yarn that's putting me off, because otherwise this is an attractive and cleverly constructed piece. The edging is lovely and the contrast edging is a nice touch.





The Selsey scarf. Not a bad piece. It has some interesting detail and it will be fun to pick out the colours for it.





The Wenlock pullover. Oooh, I very much like this one and might just have to add it to my Ravelry favourites. The shape is good and that is one flattering, effective neckline. This is a sweater that will be striking even done in a single colour.





The Seyella mittens. These are cute. They're more than a little twee for me, but then I think Pom Pom Quarterly's target demographic is probably skewed very young. I have a couple of teenaged nieces who would probably be quite happy to wear a pair of these mittens, and who would look very fetching while doing so.





The Endellion pullover. Nice piece, though again it's not going to be the most universally flattering item. Like the Coronis design above, it'll need to be tweaked for those who are well-endowed in the chest department and/or don't care to define their waists too much (i.e., the high-rise ribbed panel can be turned into a waist band). You know, Pom Pom Quarterly, I'm aware that you are designing for very young women, but even very young women aren't always small-breasted.





The Florilegium shrug. I don't care how it's styled or how many ennui-afflicted hipster models they drape it over, I'm really not buying the whole granny square chic thing.





The Kallista cowl. Rather like this one. It has a nice texture and the contrast embroidery is an interesting and effective touch.

1 comment:

  1. I love the color theme in this issue. Everything is vibrant and quite beautiful, except for that yellow (but color is so easy to change on that one!). Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete