Wednesday 19 March 2014

Knitty Spring & Summer 2014: A Review

Knitty's Spring & Summer 2014 issue is online! Let's have a look at it, shall we?





This is the Regenerate shawl, and it's quite gorgeous. The fabulous yarn used here really adds a lot. There's a picture of another sample knitted in a solid colour on the pattern's page, and although it's still a very nice item it isn't anything like as stunning as this one.





The Sweet Tantalate shawl has a clever and striking design.





The Havina shawl is an attractive piece that seems to drape well.





The Naga Fuji shawl. This one is a lovely item in itself, but doesn't seem to drape as well as the previous shawls in this issue. The rectangular shawl shape seems to be a difficult one to carry off, as it tends to look awkward.





The Sunday Sunrise shawl is well named. For me it's a happy reminder of the way the sun looks in children's drawings. It's a pretty item, looks good on, and is small enough to be used as a scarf if the wearer wishes.





The Anthi pattern is very similar to the 1930s Beehive pattern I wrote about in my very first post on this blog, and later made for myself. As I compare the two of them, I find I much prefer the vintage version, which looks so much more polished. I think the main problem with the Anthi is that I wish it had a better designed scarf tie. This one looks just too rough and ready.





The Carousel pullover is made perfectly symmetrical. The sleeves, the hem, and the neckline are all exactly the same size and this sweater can be worn any which way because there isn't a top, bottom or sides. I'm usually disapproving of gaping sleeves or armholes like this, but this pattern is so inventive and original that I just have to admire it. It's a reasonably wearable, attractive piece, though it's perhaps not for every woman (i.e., not for me as the last thing I need is excess material in the chest area) and it will probably require an underlayer as the open sleeves will otherwise show everyone an excellent view of the wearer's brassiere/sideboobs.





The Rosarian pullover is another atypical design that takes some especially careful thought to assess. I normally don't like a batwing sleeve, but I think I like this one. The openwork texture of this item gives it an airiness that makes it more like a shawl than a top, which means it's subject to different standards. That is to say, rather than being a top that will have excess rolls of knitting under the arms, it's a shawl that will stay in place and look charmingly cute and off-beat.





The Kali vest. I quite like this one. It has a good shape and the honeycomb pattern is sharp and modern.





The Icarus tank is a nice piece on the whole, but if I were making this one I would definitely do something about that rough-looking neckline and hemline, such as adding a crocheted edging. It makes this piece look so unfinished.





The Fifty Fifty tank is a nice piece, though I would do something a bit different with that eyelet triangle just below the back of the neckline, such as putting a version of the lace motif used below in it, or omitting it altogether. It looks out of place as is.





The String Theory Socks. There's a debate among knitters as to which method of knitting socks is preferable: top down or toe up. I hate to think what these socks will do to that conflict, as they are "knitted from the heel on upwards and sideways". They are cute and they look like a great way to showcase a good variegated yarn.





The Octopodes socks. I like the tweedy toe and ankle and the band of striking stranded colourwork of this design, but I'm not crazy about the stripe running along the side. The designer describes it as "creating a strong visual line", but to me it looks too much like visible seaming.

Coming up: Look for the review of knit.wear's Spring/Summer 2014 issue on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment